Thursday, August 30, 2007

Vet Scout



Hannah and her loco puppies Duece and Maxine, along with Reddy and I, walked from the disc golf trail head and then up a trail that took us to the pond. It was quiet, shady, and Hannah said she smelled urine and that it was a good place for a murder. Indeed, but what if it was all cleared and dogs and their owners took over?

Veterans' will be quite a handful in our efforts in making it Shreveport's first dog park. There needs to be a massive clearing in this kudzu forest. And the road from Clyde Fant re-opened and paved.

I was a bit disoriented because what I had pictured in my head from the research conducted on google earth was quite different in reality. Where is the old amphitheatre? Where were all those trails that seemed to wind around the little lake? Big piles of pebbles fill the deteriorating parking lot close to where we were thinking about putting the fence. We saw the old pier. Can you see it in the photo?

This property is massive and requires a second scout. The research continues...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Argh! I hate that I missed this! But sign me up for the next adventure, matie!

cynthik said...

This was once the coolest place to see an outdoor concert. The ground around the wooden stage area was terraced, there were picnic areas made of wood literally hanging in the trees like treehouses. The stage looked as if it was floating in the pond. There was an area behind the wooden wall off the back of the stage that was used for dressing rooms. The audience was kindof free spirited and always had a good time. That was in the 70's. I don't think the area was around long before being closed. I can't remember why it was closed, but soon after there was a fire that burned the staging area, arson I'm sure. What a shame. We would climb the bluffs from the park area below, right behind the sign that read "No climbing on the bluffs". The wooden treehouse places stayed for a while. I haven't been up there since then. I'm not sure how many know it even existed. Ah, the memories!

Shale Dogs Team said...

It may look like a lot of work; but with the folks on the petition, I'm sure we could do it! Plus, it's kinda cool that it's rustic. Just need to know it's fenced in.
It was quite a place as Cynthik said, back in its day . . .